Saturday, August 05, 2006

My confusion regarding Kevin Smith

I like Kevin Smith's films, except for the first Clerks. I think that film was pretty boring. Yet I find Clerks 2 to be a good film. How that happens, you got me! I guess I was more interested in the characters who are ten years older and have nothing to show for the last decade except a demotion to working in a fast food joint. Although the bonus is Rosario Dawson is your boss, and she happens to find 30 year old losers absolutely attractive.

Enough about the film, I was more interested in what Smith had to say about why he went backwards and made a sequel to a film that probably didn't need a sequel, instead of doing something new and fresh (at least new and fresh for Kevin Smith). It seems Kevin Smith, like many people before him, has a fear of failure. At least that's what it reads like. So instead of putting ones self on the line for the sake of art, or just for making something different, Smith decided to stay in his comfort zone and make films that you could say he's good at. It's been bugging me for the longest time that someone who has the resources, and the support, would not go out on a limb and try something new.

True that you may fall flat on your face, but that's not the end of the world. I've failed more times than I wanted but each time I learned something that proved to be beneficial. I mean, even in Clerks 2, he has his characters, by the end of the film, go out on a limb and seemingly succeed. It's a happy ending of sorts, but you still don't know how the story really ends. It could turn out to be the biggest mistake of their lives. But you know what? I respect the characters a little more for going out of their zone and doing something they may never have done. It's just so weird to see the guy who wrote the story not take his own advice. Not only was that bugging me, but I think it was also that I read somewhere that the reason smith won't make other types of films is because he wants to continue to make fun of other people's films and not have someone throw back a film he did that was just as crappy. Apparently he gets a lot of flak for being the guy who made Jersey Girl (another film I haven't seen, so that makes two) which lost him the right to make fun of other romantic comedies of that ilk. If that is one of his reasons for not doing more than he's been doing, I gotta say that's pretty sad. Now I'm not saying I give up on Kevin Smith, because I think he's got the talent, he just doesn't seem to have all the courage he projects when he cracks jokes on late night TV.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha way to give a movie review. i dont like kevin smith

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home